Illinois Emergency Management Website

Pat Quinn, Governor

IEMA Links Skip to Content Skip to State Links

Director Monken
Nuclear Safety
Disaster Preparedness, Response & Recovery
Training & Exercises
Laws & Regulations
Freedom of Information
Quick Nav:  

Radon Professionals

Q. How do I become licensed?

A. You must be at least 18 years of age, take a Department-approved qualification course, and pass the Illinois License exam. You may license as either a Professional or Technician in either measurement and/or mitigation. If you are seeking a Professional License, you must also submit for Department approval a Quality Management Plan (and implementing procedures) along with a Worker Protection Plan. Remember that an application is not a license. You will not be allowed to provide radon services to the public until the Department formally grants your license. Practicing without a license may result in denial of a license along with financial penalties.

Q. Where are qualification courses offered?

A. There are two currently approved vendors for qualification courses, the University of Illinois at Chicago, School of Public Health, Great Lakes Center (Measurement and Mitigation) at (312) 996-6904 and Radalink, Inc. (Measurement) at (770) 457-1944. Please contact the vendors directly for presentation dates and course costs.

Q. How long does it take to get licensed?

A. The answer to this question depends in large part upon the applicant. Our records indicate that the Professional License process has been completed in as few as 12 days and as much as several months. Accurate, quick, and complete responses to our requests for clarification and additional information speed the process.

Q. Where can I get continuing education courses?

A. Approved continuing education courses are listed on our web site at You'll need to contact the vendors directly for course requirements, presentation dates, and costs. However, courses are not the only way to earn continuing education credit from DNS. Check our brochure 12 Convenient Ways to Earn Continuing Education Credit from DNS.


Radon Homeowners / Buyers
Radon Professionals
Radium in Drinking Water
Radioactive Materials Licensees
X-Ray Facility Registrants
Mammography Facility Registrants
Laser Registrants
Radiologic Technologist Accreditation
Emergency Response
Emergency Worker Training
Copyright © IEMA Site Map | Disclaimer | Illinois Privacy Info | Kids Privacy | Web Accessibility | Plug-Ins | Webmaster